Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Entries for June 6, 7 -1911 and 2011(end of school year)

Rita's Entries:
Tuesday, June 6, 1911 
Home all day.  Fran at lunch at YW and at Crowl's with Fama and Lucina for dinner.  Home with Lu all night.  At 5:30 Tin dressed in new gray.  I at once decided Leslie was coming.  She would say nothing definite.  Mr. and Mrs. S. and she left about 8 or 8:30.  I sewed, played, sang, wrote and played solitaire until 11 then retired. At 11:30 they bro't him [Leslie?] home to sleep with Mr. S.

Wednesday, June 7, 1911
Leslie was very nice, but not as we expected.  Seemed on fine terms with Mr. Smith.  After breakfast, he and Tin went for walk.  I began practicing.  Mr. S. called me out to meet "Mr. Nordwell."!!!  Jokes on me.  Played it on Fran at lunch.  She really expected Leslie so was even more surprised than I.  Tin and I went to Gertrude House [above] for closing exercises.  Folk dances.  Nice time.

IN RITA'S DAY:  Rita and her friends are getting ready to leave Chicago since the school year is drawing to a close.  In June 5th entry, she speaks of going on a farewell "toot."  Although I'm not sure what they did, Rita in her ledger indicates the "toot" costs her 25 cents.  Gertrude House [above] was a place young ladies, especially teaching students, could live for the term.  It also seems that Tin's "young man" named Leslie came to see her and stayed in their landlord's room.

Judy's Entry: Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Went to singing and zumba at the senior center.  Was thinking about Rita as we sang the old, OLD songs, like "Keep the Home Fires Burning" and "Bells of St. Mary's."  I wonder what songs she was singing.  This afternoon I had a doctor's app't and learned that I gained 15 lbs in a year!  As a result, I will probably start doing more blogging and less eating!

TODAY:  Hot, hot weather in the middle of the country.  102 degrees in Minneapolis.  Heat is coming this way tomorrow.  Wild fires in Arizona are out of control.  The news seems to be dominated by weather events!

No comments:

Post a Comment