Monday, February 28, 2011

Entries for February 22,23, 24 and 25 -- 1911 and 2011





by Sorolla
Rita's Entries:
Wednesday, Feb. 22, 1911
No school for Fran.  I cut orchestra and practice in the a.m.  Read.  After lunch, Mrs. S. and we girls went down to Art Institute to see the great Sorolla Exhibition.  Also saw Mrs. Packard.  Went shopping a little.  After dinner under protest went over to Barbers.  Very nice evening but a horrid headache.  This paper is awful.  My patience won't hold out.

Thursday, Feb. 23, 1911
Took harmony at 10.  Mr. Brune is a dandy.  Had to wait till 11:30 for my lesson.  Talked with a bunch of nice girls on fourth floor.  Said my double stops were "pretty good" but need more expression.  For exam I must play Fiorillo Etudes and I haven't had a one.  I guess not hustle.  He asked me to come back Fri. afternoon to finish my lesson.  Practiced and studied History.  Read.

Friday, Feb. 24, 1911
Practiced all morning.  After llunch Tin went to Helen's for afternoon and dinner.  Mary there too.  Tin stayed all night with Mary.  Went down for lesson.  Porr man was "half crazy"  Am to finish concerto next week I guess.

Saturday, Feb 25, 1911
Lecture at 9:30.  Tine went to opticians.  Came back for last of recital.  Ensemble and 4 violins.  Sebald at piano.  Fine.  Practiced an hour before lecture.  More after lunch.  Mrs. S., Fran and I sent to Julian.  Fran and I took walk after dinner.  Music till 9:30.

IN RITA'S DAY:
Early in 1911, Sorolla visited the United States for a second time, and exhibited 161 new paintings at the Art Institute of  Later that Chicago.  Later that year he was commissioned to do murals that were to be installed in the Hispanic Society of America and would range from 12 to 14 feet in height, and total 227 feet in length. There would be fourteen large panels in all. The major commission of his career, it would dominate the later years of Sorolla's life.

TODAY:  The panels are still at the Hispanic Society and their website encourages everyone to visit the newly renovated gallery to view the Sorolla's in all their splendor.

Judy's Entry:  Looks like in the midst of my daughter's pregnancy and herniated disk problems, she and her husband have purchased their first home!  Contract to be signed the end of this month!  After all this, I am looking forward to meeting a friend in NYC early March.  Maybe we can go and see the Sorolla murals!  I'm not familiar with him, but looking at his work online, I think the paintings are fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment