Thursday, March 17, 2011

Entries for March 15 and 16, 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Wednesday, March 15, 1911
Beastly cold.  Went down with Fran.  Bo't dress at Carson-Pirie's.  Nearly froze my hands off on way to school.  Dandy time at practice.  Practiced over 3 hours.  Pretty tired.  Wrote home.  Fran and I took a little walk - very short because of cold.

Thursday, March 16, 1911
Practiced some before going down.  Harmony at 10.  Mr. B. still dandy.  Got along beautifully with lesson.  After all my work on the concerto didn't have to play it.  He was pelased with my Fiorillo evidently - said "Fine, fine"  also said he could see much progress.  I could tell better by his beaming smile than by what he said.  Maybe I didn't feel good.  About 2 hours and practice.  Fran home with Lu.  Read.

IN RITA'S DAY: Checking the average temperatures in March 1911, it looks like most days were way above normal, but in the middle of the chart (15th) there is a huge drop with temperatures way below average.  Wish she might have mentioned the actual temp.  She didn't, of course, but did list money spent in a little ledger in the back of the diary.  The entry for March 15th says "fare and dress - $1.58"  The store she shopped in "Carson, Pirie, Scott" at the time was located on one of the busiest corners in the world. (see picture above).


Judy's Entry: The temperature here has been a little cold for March, but my nieces don't seem to mind.  I have a pile of snow left and they have been playing in it.  We also have been doing craft projects, playing wii, going out for lunch, walking Roscoe, fmaily movie night.  Mom and I babysat so brother and wife could have a night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment