Saturday, March 26, 2011

Entries for March 26, 1911 and 2011 (Hats)

Rita and friends in hats around 1913
Rita's Entry: Sunday, March 26, 1911
Went to church and S. S.  Still no luck with new hat.  Puffed 3 heads.  Met some dandy people.  Bess Davis came home to dinner.  A dear girl.  So much like M. E. P.  I fell in love with her.  Peach of a reader too.  Came home about 8:30.  Read.

IN RITA'S DAY:  Young women wore hats and gloves when they were going out to a social occasion.  Hats were often homemade and were worn by women of all social standing.  While wider hats adorned with things like cabbage roses were still fashionable, by 1911 hats became much smaller and often several large narrow feathers called Mephisto feathers were worn (see picture of Rita below.  Again from 1913.  I have no pictures of her in 1911).

TODAY: While hats are still common in England, especially at occasions like weddings, in the United States women rarely wear hats.  Still hats are "healthy" - sun damage to skin and is a cause of skin cancer... and hats can keep you warm in winter.  I do wear a hat often in the winter, but take it off immediately when inside because it messes your hair!  Maybe hats will make a come back.

Judy' Entry: Saturday, March 29, 2011
Up early to get salt for the water softener.  My son came over for coffee.  Then Mom started her soup for supper and I did a little cleaning in the basement.  I could work down there every day and still not get done!  Mom and I divided up the characters in our children's book.  She will draw 5 and I will do 5.  I do hope we finish it... As I've said before, I'm famous (or infamous) for not finishing projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment