Saturday, March 19, 2011

Entries for March 17 and 18 - 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Friday, March 17, 1911
Home all day.  Tin and I took turns practicing.  Fran and I walked.  Grand day.  Tin over to Crowls for dinner.  Att was there - also Helen Black.  Tin stayed all night.

Rita's Entry: Saturday, March 18, 1911
Met Tin for lecture at 9:30.  She had 5 letters and a special from Leslie.  Little pill!  Such a bunch.  Miss A. put off her party again and I lost out on Ellman's too for she didn't let us know till Friday PM.  After lunch Maude S. came and we four went to Julian.  Pretty good bill - lots of fun anyway.  Fran went to South Side.  Tin slept in with me.

IN RITA'S DAY:  At first I was surprised that there was no mention of St. Patrick's Day on the 17th since I know Chicago has a big parade.  Then I learned that even though Chicago claims a parade from the 1800s, the actual parade was small and sporadic until Mayor Daley in the 1950s.  Surprising to me is that the big parades were the Knights Templar (see picture above of 1910 parade).  I can't imagine an organization that seems sort of secretive putting on such a display.  Just a different time.

TODAY:  Chicago has a big parade and even colors the river green for St. Patrick's Day (see above).

Judy's Entry: March 17 and 18, 2011
The two girls, Nan and I all put on green and performed our show for Elizabeth, Jim and Sarah.  That Caroline thought of the concept and the pictures and songs.  She is quite creative at 10 years old.  It was their last day here so lots of cleaning up and packing.  Friday morning I took Nan for her eye injection and the Texans left for some time in NYC before their flight home.  I took a nap and then played MJ at Barbara's.  Still a lot of talk about the disaster in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment