Monday, March 28, 2011

Entries for March 27 - 1911 and 2011 (books)

Rita's Entry: Monday, March 27, 1911
Lesson at 1:30.  O.K.  Said to play lesson next time "if I could," if not, then play something else.  What?  Practiced.  Read, etc.  Mr. C. came.

IN RITA'S DAY:  I'm sorry that Rita never mentions what she is reading.   Many momentous books were published around this time, including The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, "Up from Slavery" by Booker T. Washigton and "Call of the Wild" by Jack London.  I doubt very much that she was reading any of those, however.  More likely she read books by L.M. Montgomery.  "Anne of Green Gables" was published in 1908 and "Kilmeny of the Orchard" in 1911.  I find it interesting that although Montgomery sold a lot of books, she felt that in order to survive in Canada, she must marry.  She had a very unhappy marriage and it is thought now that she eventually took her own life.

TODAY:  Are books as we've known them on the way out?  I resisted getting an e-book reader, but when my son got me a Kindle for Christmas, I started using it and I love it.  I still love regular books more and hope they never disappear!

Judy's Entry: Sunday, March 27, 2011
Went to church.  Went on a walk with Mom.  It's funny because often my days sound like Rita's... and it's 100 years later... Walks, reading, church, visiting friends.  Our lives both are filled with some dull days and then some days filled with "events" (hers more than mine).  Saw a movie called RED, which meant "retired and extremely dangerous."  Thinking my life is "retired, extremely dull."

No comments:

Post a Comment