Monday, March 21, 2011

Entries for March 19 and 20, 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Sunday March 19, 1911
Tin and I went to S.S.  Got there late of course.  Enjoyed Mrs. Houston ever so much.  Girls are nice too.  Stayed for church.  Later looked for Att and Mary after lunch, but no.  Fran came home unexpectedly.  Walked.  Dandy day.

Rita's Entry: Monday, March 20, 1911
Lesson at 9:30.  Poor, disgraced myself - only nervous and dull.  He said I played my concerto very well except for not enough "expression"  But I got rattled, "But why brag" (?)  Not much practice.  Kind of blue.  Great day.

International Psychoanalytical Congress of 1911
IN RITA'S DAY:  In some of Rita's March 1911 entries, I notice a number of comments on her feelings that seem to change as quickly as the weather in March!  This time period was a time of change and behind many of the changes were artists,  young and college-educated, who discussed spirituality and the new psychology of Sigmund Freud and who believed that meaning lay in the expression of the inner self.  Psychoanalysis was worldwide (see photo above).   I think Rita and others like her, while not at the forefront of change or directly involved in something like psychoanalysis, had the leisure time to start to examine their feelings.


TODAY: A majority of the people I know either are in therapy or have been even Marge Simpson above).  I certainly have been.  My mother, on the other hand, still feels that people should take care of their own problems.  I wonder what the next 100 years will bring.  Will we have yearly mental check-ups, like we do with physicals now?

Judy's Entries:  Saturday and Sunday, March 19 and 20, 2011
Very quiet weekend.  Spent a lot of Saturday moving things.. taking things down to the basement and bringing up things we had put away while company was here.  Got groceries.  Went shopping with Diane after church on Sunday.  Mom stayed home and made cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment