Thursday, March 3, 2011

Entries for March 3, 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Friday, March 3, 1911
Home all day.  Restless.  Practiced by spells.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith down town.  Tin and I sat around praying for something exciting to happen.  Fran's box came late - after five.  Only excitement was $5 to Tin to do with as she chooses.  Solitaire after dinner I guess - or music - I can't remember.  Didn't get Mother's letter and was worried.
Chicago and Northwestern Terminal where Rita would catch train to Iowa


IN RITA'S DAY:  I am amazed at the architecture of the buildings from the early 1900s - today especially because I took a tour of Grand Central Station (or I should say Grand Central "Terminal") and then after lunch went to the Transit Museum which had a display on Penn Station.  Penn Station was opened in 1910 and Grand Central in 1913.  It never really sunk in with me that the original Penn Station of Rita's day was destroyed in the 1960s to make way for Madison Square Garden.  What a shame!  Grand Central and the Chicago Terminal above are both marvelous, but I think Penn Station was the most awe inspiring (see pictures below..top one is Penn Station).  Now I'll never know.


TODAY: 700,000 people a day pass through Grand Central - just one of the facts I learned on the audio tour.  The terminal was slated for destruction, but after Penn Station was destroyed, celebrities - led by Jackie Kennedy - and others worked to save it.  It was restored and shops, markets were added and now it is really quite something!

Judy's Entry: Thursday, March 3, 2011
Left on the 8:30 train to Grand Central.  Met my friend Jeanette at 10.  We had coffee and caught up on everything.  Then the tour of the Terminal.  We saw celebrity chef Curtis Stone taping a segment for a new TV reality show called America's Next Great Restaurant.  We tried the whispering gallery in front of the Oyster Bar and heard all about the windows, the lights, the history.  Got home about five.  A nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment