Thursday, March 24, 2011

Entries for March 24, 1911 and 2011 (Yongala)

Rita's Entry: Friday, March 24, 1911
Home all day.  Practiced.  Fooled with hat.  N. G.

SS Yongala then
IN RITA'S DAY: Yesterday, March 23, 1911 was the day on which the Steamship Yongala sank and all people on board perished.  It is considered the most tragic loss at sea for Australia.  It went down during a cyclone and 122 people lost their lives.  No bodies were ever found, just the remains of a race horse which washed ashore a few days (or weeks?) later.   Rita doesn't mention this - or any world events - in her diary.  I wonder if it is because she wasn't aware (no news media then) or if this just isn't what people say in diaries.  I feel compelled to sometimes comment on world events because I wish she would have done so.
Yongala today
TODAY:  The remains of the Yongala off the Great Barrier Reef have over time been transformed into a coral reef and it has become a tourist destination.  I heard about it because it is there that a young women named Tina Watson died there on her honeymoon under suspicious circumstances. (Isn't it always the husband?)  A tragic place but a beautiful place.

Judy's Entry: Thursday, March 24, 2011
I met my daughter at the hospital for the genetic testing.  The first results look fine and the final results will come in a week.  Later I met my friend Susan for lunch and some shopping.  I went online to buy some "belly bands" for my daughter.  The website, like many others, allows you to add another dollar to your order for charity.  That is a common thing now, even when you shop at K-mart, you may be asked to support St. Jude's or March of Dimes by letting them add extra to your bill.  Right now I'm saying "yes" to any donations for Japan.  I just can't imagine how life there has changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment