Saturday, January 22, 2011

Entries for Jan 22 -- 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Sunday, Jan 22, 1911
No church for we wanted early dinner.  Cleaned gloves - read, played and sang.  After dinner Fran and I took a short walk.  Sherwood Scheele came.  The Johnsons sang.  Later Helen Black came.  Lots of music.  Sherwood here for lunch.  Al came with candy.  Still more music.  Sherwood left and Smiths went to a show.    Fortune.  More music.  Girls left - Al and I gossiped till 11:30.  Smiths came home and Al left.  O you tooth.

IN RITA'S DAY:  Sunday afternnons often found visitors coming and often everyone contributed to the entertainment.  Rita probably played her violin and Fran was on piano.  I'm sure they sang the songs popular in that day.  George M. Cohen was big with "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Give my Regards to Broadway."  One of the most popular songs was "Let Me Call You Sweetheart."  A copy of the cover on the original sheet music is above.



Judy's Entry: Saturday Jan 22, 2011
Had to get up early to clear drifting snow because the cleaning lady was coming.  Mom and I did some watercolor.  I am making flash cards to try to learn all the notes for piano (esp. on the Leger lines).  Went shopping, bought turtleneck and I jacket at Coldwater Creek.  Spent quiet evening.  Tried to catch up on top songs since I don't know many.

TODAY:  The top song this week is Rihanna's "What's My Name?" featuring Drake (see cover above).  The trend is for artists to "feature" other artists in their songs and videos.  Other top songs are "Firework" by Katy Perry and "Grenade" by Bruno Mars.  I wonder if anyone will recognize these songs in 100 years.




No comments:

Post a Comment