Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Entries for January 26 - 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Thursday, Jan 26, 1911
Harmony at 10.  Lesson about 11:45.  Played bum, but guess I'm getting along O.K.  Practiced.  Letters From Marge McC and Mother and Dad.  After dinner Fran and I took a walk.  Then she made a hat and I wrote to H.E.B.  Much gossip.  Tin cramming for an exam.


IN RITA'S DAY:  I am interested by some of the slang Rita uses in her diary.  She writes that she "played bum" which  is an expression not used that way today.  I found that the slang term "the bum's rush" was first used around 1910, and the phrase "I've got your number" became very popular around the same time, maybe partly because of the song (see above)...or maybe the song was written because the phrase was popular.  The other day in her entry, Rita wrote "O you tooth" (at least that is what it looks like).  I can't figure out what that means.

Judy's Entry: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011
Theweather this morning was okay and I got some things to make soup.  Made a nice chicken vegetable soup.  Then the snow started.  No piano lesson today.  My daughter almost got into a crash going to work.  Her office called her cell to tell her that her patients cancelled, but she was already stuck on the roads. I'm getting a little cabin fever.  Glad to have Netflix.

TODAY:  Today instead of saying "Played bum" we might say "My playing sucked."  Another slang term now is saying "my bad" meaning "it is my fault."  The street slang for police right now is "po-po" and my 88 year old mother has gotten in the habit of saying it although the other day she said "poo-poo" instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment