Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Entries for January 25, 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Wednesday Jan 25, 1911
Went down with Fran at 9 for orchestra.  Instead of going there, went with Fran to Art Institute.  Took in the whole school.  Met Lucina.  Very nice.  Practiced all afternoon.  Got harmony after dinner.  Read.





IN RITA'S DAY:  The Art Institute of Chicago started in 1879 and moved to its present location in 1893.  In 1911 Rita's friend, Fran, studied there while Rita (and I think Tin) went to Chicago Musical College.  When I knew my grandmother, she had several things that Fran painted, including the charming watercolor sketches above.   I feel I am very lucky to have them.

Judy's Entry: Tuesday, January 25, 2011
I couldn't believe that there was enough snow this morning to cancel schools in the area.  More is forecast for tomorrow and into Thursday.  Went to the dentist for 3 month cleaning.  The State of the Union is tonight and I am interested in seeing what Obama has to say.  I think he is doing what he thinks is the best for the country.  We'll see.

TODAY:  The Art Institute of Chicago is in the same location but now has a separate school and a new modern wing.  The exhibit right now is of watercolor artist John Marin.  Much different than Fran's watercolors! (see below)




No comments:

Post a Comment