Sunday, January 30, 2011

Entries for January 20 - 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Monday, Jan 30, 1911
Took lesson.  Got along beautifully.  My concerto won't do -- is an American Edition.  Felt bum.  Practiced.  After dinner Mr. & Mrs. S. went out.  Who should come but Harry Faerber.  Stopped off between trains.  Dee-lighted!

IN RITA'S DAY:  Popular classical music that was published in 1911 is listed below.  Could the concerto Rita bought be the one by Nielsen?  It may be a coincidence because when I went to the Philharmonic yesterday, the final symphony on the program was by Nielsen (The four temperments).  I liked it very much and had never heard of him.  He was Danish.
Judy's Entry: Sunday, Jan 30, 2011
After church, got bundled up and went out to shovel off the deck.  The snow was deep because I haven't cleared it since the first storm.  Since we are supposed to get even more bad weather on Tuesday AND Wednesday, I thought I'd better clean it off.  It exhausted me (or as Rita would say: "I was all in").  Mom made cookies and we did our art homework, which was taking a small object and drawing it 10 times larger.  I did a push pin.

TODAY: The concerto Rita bought cost her 50 cents, which was significant.  You would think it would be at least several dollars today, but you can actually download these old concertos for free because they are in the public domain.  The Internet is an amazing thing that has changed things so much in just the last decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment