Thursday, January 27, 2011

Entries for January 27 - 1911 and 2011

Rita's Entry: Friday, Jan 27, 1911
Home all day.  Practiced lots.  Slept a little Tin out to Helen's to study for exam.  Stayed for dinner.  I helped Fran dress for West Side dance with Joe.  Sherwood Scheeler here for dinner.  Mr & Mrs. S, Sherwood and I played whist till 11:30!  Fran home before we got to bed.

A whist marker made at the end of the 19th century

IN RITA'S DAY: Whist was extremely popular.  Not surprising that people would play all evening.

Judy's Entry: Thursday, January 27, 2011
Got over a foot of snow.  Fortunately, it stopped early in the morning and my son helped me shovel since he didn't have school.  Went to play Mah Jongg and thought of how Rita and her friends played Whist all evening.  We could all play MJ a long time, but I left first since my daughter is to spend the night tonight.





TODAY:  Whist, like many games, is played online.  I don't know anything about it, but maybe it is more popular in other countries rather than the US.  Above is a German version.






No comments:

Post a Comment